Sunday, May 31, 2009

I made it!


I didn't want to say anything about this until I found out if I made it or not. It would of been way to embarrassing if I didn't, so I just keep it quiet until now. So I guess you are all saying, "just tell us already", so I will. I tried out to be in Jenny Phillips choir and I found out this morning that I made it in. Now this probably doesn't mean too much for most of you, but I have been a huge fan of her's for a few years now. Jenny Philips is a popular LDS inspirational music artist who has an amazing voice. Since I was in high school I have always listened to this kind of inspirational church music. Some of my favorite singers have been LDS artists. Jenny Philips writes and sings a lot of the music on the EFY albums, which were always my favorite. Anyways, I signed up to be on her email list and found out a few months ago that she was auditioning people to be in her preforming choir. The requirements were that you were to pick a hymn to sing (a Capella), learn Nearer My God to Thee (Alto part), to make sure you could sing harmony, and one of her songs that the choir sings during the performances.
Well, Saturday was the auditions and we had to sing in front of her and three other, who are directors of her choir. The best part was when I had to sing the alto part of Nearer my God to Thee, because Jenny sang the Soprano part with me. I know this is stupid, but to sing with this great singer was the biggest thrill of my life. I didn't want it to end!
Well this morning I checked my email and found out that I was one of 38 out of over 100 people to make it into the choir. She preforms a few times a week at different firesides all over Utah, Wyoming and Nevada. We are required to make it to 9 performances a year, but I know if I can do more, that I will.
The performance that we are putting on this year is called "Remember the Journey". I've only heard one song off the album (the one I had to learn for the audition), but that one is amazing! I can't wait to hear the rest.

In other news, Brittany received her Young Woman's Recognition Award in church. This is the equivalent of the Duty of God award the boys receive. She is the youngest girl in our ward to receive this award, so far. I'm so proud of her and all the hard work she had to do in order to receive this award.

The boys went to Father's and Sons this past Friday night. They didn't take the camera so I have no pictures of their fun night camping. Clay did come home bright and early the next morning thanks to Luke's crying most of the night, complaining of his tummy ache! I guess when you eat candy all night long it actually will make you sick. Plus the boys were freezing most of the night and Clay ended up putting Luke into the Suburban and turning on the heat for the last few hours of the night. Can you tell that we are not campers and this is why we only do it once a year!

My girls are leaving for girls camp in the morning. This year they are not even camping, they are staying at a ward members house in St. George. It's going to be pretty quiet around the house with only the two boys and myself. Weird!

6 comments:

Libby said...

Holy cow Steph...that is AMAZING! I am SO excited for you! That is just awesome! Wow, how cool is that going to be for you?! You are going to have so many spiritual experiences it is unreal! Wow, I am just stunned. Boy I wish I was joining you in this choir. It would be amazing. I miss living in SLC where it is actually possible to audition for things like this. There are so many perks to living in and near Salt Lake!!!! I am so happy for you!

Stephanie said...

Libby- that would be so much fun to be in the choir together! Get your bum back up North so we can do this kind of stuff more!

Beck said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Beck said...

congratulations. you must be very excited. Let us know if you are touring anywhere down here in the south.!You're going to have such a great time.

Melinda said...

Steph this is amazing! I can't believe you were to scared to tell anyone. Way to go this is very exciting. I want to go to one of the shows so you will have to get a schedule to me. I am jealous you didn't call and see if I wanted to do it with you!!

Rachelle said...

I am so excited for you. What an amazing opportunity!! I love when women get to use their talents for things like this.