Monday, September 12, 2011

Volleyball girls

While in Utah, Brittany and Savannah tried out for their schools volleyball team.  I'm happy to say that they both made the team! I'm so proud of my girls for getting out in a new school and trying to find ways to fit in and make new friends.  I was so relieved when I found out that they both made the team. I could only imagine if only one of them had made the team, how the other one would of felt left out.  Plus, since the move Brittany and Savannah have become very close.  Being torn away from all of their friends, this move force them to be best friends with each other, and that is exactly what has happened.
For their first game all the kids and I drove down to Forbes, the town their school is in (about 1/2 hour away from our home) to watch them play.  We arrive at their school, find the auditorium and walk in only to have Savannah run up to us and say with a horror look on her face "families don't come to watch the games!" I looked around to see that that was the truth. The other kids were looking at us like we must of been lost.  So we turned around and headed back to the car, to sit and wait for their game to finish up.  Brittany and Savannah came outside once to practice with their team so I snapped these pictures as quickly as I could, without them seeing me do it too! I had already embarrassed them once today, I knew if I went over to take some pictures that would be the most horrific thing I could do to them!



We entertained ourselves in the car by watching the kookaburra birds.  It's the only place we have been able to see them here.  It became a game with the boys to see how close they could get to them. Cody snapped this picture after getting right under the goal post to take it. Luke wasn't as patient with them and would just run over to see if he could be quick enough to catch them!
Some funny school stories that happened this week were,  at Brittany and Savannah's school one of the fathers died.  This made the girls really uncomfortable because he had been at the school for a long time and everyone knew and loved him, except Brittany and Savannah. So lunch time would be the kids talking about him and crying while the girls sat and said nothing and didn't cry! At his funeral, that was held at the school during school hours, they served the sacrament. Brittany being at the front of her line was pushed up first and didn't want to offend anyone, so what does she do...she takes the sacrament! She came home from school and told us about it, after laughing about her predicament, we explained what she could do if she finds herself in that situation again.
Now only a few days after Brittany's sacrament experience, Cody was taken to mass during school and was lined up to be given the sacrament with his class. Cody said all the kids would go up to the priest and hold out their hands, so when it was his turn he just crossed him arms up to his chest.  I asked him what the priest did when he saw him do this and he replied "he just blessed me." I asked him what gave him the idea to cross his arms and he said, he wanted to the opposite of what the other kids were doing!  So that week Brittany took the catholic sacrament and Cody was blessed by a catholic priest. It's just  all a part of the catholic school experience I guess!

1 comment:

Julie said...

How totally weird that families don't come to the volleyball games! And that's too funny about the Catholic experiences they're having! I probably would've taken the catholic sacrament too! Poor girl. How awkward!!!!!