Sunday, October 16, 2011

The Dish

Our town of Parkes is known for two things, the Elvis Festival held every January. It is the 2nd largest Elvis Festival in the world, Vegas being number one, and The Dish! This dish was used to telecast the first walk on the moon to the world! There is even a pretty good movie made about this historic event, called The Dish, go figure!

These pictures don't do it justice as to just how big this dish is, so I had Jessica go stand next to it so you can see it in comparison!

At the dish you can take a tour of the gift shop, which will take you about 15 minutes, not too big! But, it is interesting and they even have a deli you can have lunch in! We skipped eating since they only served meat pies!
Outside the gift shop Jess and I found this sign..
After a good laugh we realized what it meant! There are two smaller dishes about 150 meters away from each other, Jess stood by one, I stood by the other and you can literally whisper into them and hear each other. We had fun telling each other our deep dark secrets! Yes, we were a little bored today!
You can see one of the whispering dishes behind me in this picture!
Lately I've been feeling a little overwhelmed with some things that have been going on in my life, so I had Jess take this picture of me with the weight of the world on my shoulders! Yes, once again we were a little bored!
 I am enjoying my time with Jess! It's been a lot of fun having her home with me all day! So, if your ever bored, rent the Dish and enjoy watching how our little town of Parkes got their 15 minutes of fame!

1 comment:

Melinda said...

I like that last picture. It is so perfect! I bet you are having a lot of fun spending time with Jess and sight seeing. I'm going to look up the movie on netflix, show the kids.