Friday, August 8, 2008

Wow! What a week!

It all started last Sunday while we were at Church. Of course it was during the Sacrament, when Luke came over to where Clay and I were sitting and told us his tooth was all "crazy". We didn't understand what he was trying to tell us until he pulled his bottom lip down and showed us this dangling tooth. This is Luke's first loose tooth! We tried wiggling it but Luke kept telling us to stop because he was afraid we were going to hurt him. So he quietly went back to his seat and sat there wiggling it, non-stop. After only a few minutes he was back and crying that he just wanted it out "right now"! So Clay took him into the bathroom and yanked the thing out! Luke and Clay came back into the Chapel with a bloody paper towel sticking out of Luke's mouth, but he was so excited and proud it was hard not to laugh.


The next morning Jess and I spent over two hours sitting at her High School in the counseling office waiting to meet with her couselor so we could get her schedule changed for this new school year. Jess has changed her major from Interior Design to Pediatric Nursing. All her classes she is registered for right now are for Interior Design and we need to get them changed to Nursing. It took about 45 mins after the long wait to get all her classes changed because all the ones she needs to take were already full. But we got it all worked out and she is even signed up to take two college courses her first two periods of each day. She will take them down in American Fork at this school that offers these college course to high school students and then after she is done she will head back to Lone Peak (her High School) and finish out the day there. Her college classes are medical classes she needs for her nursing degree. I can't believe I have a child taking college classes already!
Thankfully there is a guy in our ward named Tyler who is one of Jessica's best friends who is taking classes at this same place and same time as Jess. So he will drive her there in the morning and take her back to school when they are done. I don't have to worry about dropping her off and picking her up! The funny thing about her friend Tyler is that his mom grew up in Tustin which is in the same stake I grew up in. Her name is Debra Paul and her younger brother Brad Paul was friends with my brother Tom. Debra lives close by us now and the first time I met her she told me where she was from and I told her where I was from and she asked me if I knew of her brother Brad who was close to my age, and I told her how we used to hang out sometime and she just about fell over. Anyways, now are kids are good friends. Crazy how things happen!
The next day I took the kids to the Gateway Mall in SLC and we went to the Discovery Museum. It's more for Luke's age but all the kids had fun goofing around and guess what Libby, Jessica even came with us!! Here the kids are pretend to be on the news and doing the weather report.
This is a big fan that when you put different things inside like coffee filters and paper airplanes you can watch them shot up!
Here is Jessica learning how to send a signal. This is how they used to do it back in the "olden days" Or that is how Jessica put it anyways!
Of course the rock wall was popular for all the kids!



And Cody of course had to strike a pose while on the horse!
Why is it fun for kids to pump gas and not for adults?

This was really fun for the kids, they had a real life flight helocoper for the kids to sit in and it even had real sound effects and lights. Wow! I told the boys to pretend like they were the news people and this is the pose they gave me. I guess they don't watch the news very often!

This part of the museum was so much fun. They had these tubes every where and all these different ways of getting the balls threw them. This one part was a vaccum, kind of like a bank teller, when you stuck the balls in they got sucked up threw all the tubes. Luke was at this place for almost a half an hour. I need to figure out how to get one of these things in my house!


This was the constructing area where you build tall buildings. This crane is what the kids used to lift the heavy(Styrofoam) blocks to the area where all the constructions is happening!
After the Discovery Museum we headed over to the Planetarium. It didn't have as many things to do like the last museum, but it was still fun. Here the kids are taking a walk on the moon! Amazingly this part of the moon had oxygen.
Here they are on Mars. Once again this planet has oxygen and apparently a Hot Dog on a Stick. (Jess's drink)After walking around we decided we needed to sit for while so we went to one of there 3-D movies. It was about the International Space Station and they showed the shuttle taking off and how the asternaunts live up there for months. Really cool especially in 3-D
And we got to wear these awesome glasses!
After our long day we finished by going to the Olympic fountain and letting the kids cool off.




The next day was another big day for us. It started with me sitting at the Jr. High for three hours helping with registration. The PTA president of the school happens to be my good friend and neighbor, so I have a feeling I'm going to be spending a lot of time volunteering there through out the school year.
After that I came home picked up Jess and we headed to the DMV. Yes, Jessica is now a legal driver, so any of you who are driving the streets of Utah Co. Beware!!!
She only has her permit right now, so I have six months until she is on her own and stressing me out!
After the DMV we came home and changed and went and Jessica received her patriarticle blessing. It was an amazing experience and one that I will never forget. I'm so proud of Jess, she is a wonder daughter and sister. She has really tried hard this summer to get herself ready to receive her blessing. She attended EFY and has almost read the entire Book of Mormon, just since the first of the summer. She is a great student and is very determined to go to college and become a pediatric nurse. She also wants to travel all over the world and help children who are less fortunate and who cannot afford medical care. Her blessing promised her she would be able to do all these things.

4 comments:

Melinda said...

Wow, I didn't know Jess what getting her blessing! That is so awesome. Jess is great and I love her. That is fun she went with you guys to have some fun. We would have liked to have gotten a call to go along also!! j/k

Fun for Luke to have lost his first tooth. Livy is already trying to tell me her teeth are loose. It won't be long.

Libby said...

I can't even imagine what it will be like to go with Jack to get his blessing. Did you cry? I bet I will sob! How cool for Jess! I love that she has changed to Peds nursing. That a'girl! Our family has sure turned medical and I love it! I think Jack is going to be Dad's prodigy though. He has a thing for math already. It is crazy!

You guys had an awesome day together. Every thing sounds like so much fun! It was good to see Jess in some pictures! :) Since when did high school students start declaring majors? That is so crazy. It makes sense though. I wish college courses had been offered when I was in high school. So many kids graduate from high school now and already have their generals done and an associates degree. That is so amazing!

I can't believe Luke lost his first tooth...and naturally (instead of it being knocked out of something). Wow, I wonder when Jack will lose one. He talks about it all the time. I will have to tell him about Luke!

Rachelle said...

That is a crazy week, but it sounds like you had fun. I am so excited for Jess that she has her patriarchal blessing. I will never forget that day in my life. My sister got hers at the same time so it was really a special moment. A child driving and a child losing their first tooth. Your life is never boring.

Carter Family said...

So exciting to see your family growing up! You have beautiful children... and they sound like good kids. It's fun to see them all together... playing. What a fun week! :)