Friday, August 15, 2008

First Day of School, well at least for one of them!

Well here is my sweet Savannah on her first day of Jr. High School. Today was her first day of school but only for the 7th graders. The 8th (which is Brittany) and 9th graders will go on Monday, with everyone finally together on Tuesday. Cody and Jessica start on Monday along with Brittany, while poor Luke has to wait until the 25th to start Kindergarten.
Savannah and I were especially nervous for this first day because Savannah has Juvenile Diabetes, rather known as Type 1 diabetes. She was diagnosed back in Feburary and she has learned how to manage this disease mostly all on her own. She has to test her blood sugar just before she eats, and if she starts to feel low or high. Then she gives herself injections of insulin 10-15 mins before she eats, anything. It was pretty easy for her to monitor when she was in Elementary school because her whole class knew about it and didn't mind when she whipped out her tester during class to test herself. But now that she is at the Jr. High there are less people who know about her situation and she is embarrassed to test and inject herself about those kids. Most of her teachers don't even know yet about her situation. She was concerned that the teachers wouldn't let her out of class so that she could test herself. I talked to her about how everyone would understand and I think she was a little more at ease. But this morning I could tell she was pretty nervous.
When Savannah blood sugar gets to low she starts to get shaky and really irritable. She needs to test herself immediatly and get something into her body that will shoot up her blood sugar and quickley. She carries fruit snacks around with her everywhere in case this happens. I also have a stash in my purse with me at all times and in the car. We can't be caught off guard and not be prepared. I also have to carry around an emergency shot with me everywhere in case Savannah goes unconscious or starts having a seizure. This shot is a large dose of insulin that you give a diabetic before you call 911. I keep one in my purse, in the car and in the house at all times. We also had to bring one to school to give to the nurse there, in case anything happens at school.
Here is a picture of the needle she uses everyday to give herself her injections (the one on the top)
The next needle is the emergency needle I would have to use. As you can see from the size of the needle there is a big difference between the two.


Thankfully we have never had a need for the emergency shot and hopefully never will!!
I really didn't mean to get into all this diabetes stuff but I thought you would would find it interesting.
By the way, I just started on Tuesday reading the Twilight books and I love them!!!!!!!!!!!
I have finished the first two books and am now just starting the third. I can't wait until the last one!! I can't believe I waited so long to start them, but I'm kind of glad because at least I have all four books to read and I don't have to wait for one to come out! I love Edward!!!

7 comments:

Melinda said...

I hope Savannah had a good first day! I can tell Blake is getting more nervous and I had the butterflies also. I would be so nervous for sannah and her diabities in jr high! That place is huge! I made of copy of Blakes schedule so that I know where he is if I need him. hope you had fun on your date tonight!

Rachelle said...

My first comment didn't post. But I just wanted to say how awesome I think Savannah is.
Also sorry, but I tagged you. You will have to visit the "Trinity tagged" me post.

Libby said...

Savannah is so amazing with her diabetes. She will do great, but I understand why you are nervous. That would be hard for sure! And junior high is such a crazy time. You can never be sure how other kids will react at that age. Good thing she is so cute and fun...everyone will love her!

I love the twilight books as well! I am addicted.

Chelsey said...

Savannah looks adorable! Not a big surprise.

Christine said...

That is so weird that the kids start on different days! It was so fun seeing you today-even if it was for just a minute!

Carter Family said...

Savannah is so beautiful! I have always had this secret desire that her and Justin would meet again when they are in college! :) I'm so glad that you have found the true love of all of our lives... EDWARD!!! I really am obsessed! :) I have allready read Breaking Dawn for the second time! :)

Tonya said...

YEAH school starts on monday. I can't wait to get myself organized. Hopefully there will be a few minutes between drop offs and pick ups to get something done. Sounds like you will be running a ton also. I hope you don't become to addicted to those books. I think they are great. Let me know what Clay's book is called. We want to order it.