Saturday, January 3, 2009

Clay

You know when your just having one of those days and everything seems to go crazy. Well, poor Clay had one of those days. Of course, he was so funny to the rest of the family, but it was all at Clay's expense.
It started when Clay and I went to lunch today. We were at the register ordering our food when the employee asked Clay "do you want a receipt"? Now for all of you that know Clay well, we know that he doesn't hear very well. Years of playing his music too loud in his car as a teenager ruined his hearing. He fights this accusation with "everyone is just mumbling". He is often seen cupping his ear when someone is talking to him in an attempt to hear better when he is in a noisy room. Well, when the employee asked Clay if he wanted a receipt, he thought she said "do you want beef", so instead of saying "Yes, I would like a receipt, he said, "No, I want chicken".
Oh, if only you could have been there. I looked at him puzzled, so did the employee, and I had to explain to him what she had said. When we sat down to eat, we were both laughing so hard, I was crying!

So if that wasn't enough, after lunch we took the kids to see Bedtime Stories. Today was a very sunny, but windy day. The wind was blowing the snow all around and because it was sunny as well, it was very bright. Clay was driving and we were in Suburban (the car I drive most of the time). Clay asked if his sunglasses were in the car but they weren't, so he asked if there were a pair he could wear. The only spare I had were an older pair I used to wear a few years back. Clay put on the sunglasses and kept refering to himself as Elton John, the rocket man!
On the drive to the movie theater Clay saw a car pulled over on the side of the road stuck in the snow. We were already late to the movie so I was upset when he pulled over to see if he could help. Forgetting that he was wearing my sunglasses Clay got out of the car and went over to talk to the guy stuck in the snow. He told Clay that he was expecting his friend shortly to help him out so Clay came back into the car. It was just then that he realized he had gone out and talked to that guy while wearing my sunglasses.

I had to take a picture of him wearing the sunglasses so that you can see just how funny he looked in them.
Clay said that it was no wonder the guy didn't want him to help him out.
Once again I was laughing so hard I was crying! Poor Clay, two embarrassing things happen to him in one day!
But I have to give him credit, he was laughing just as hard as me. I love ya babe!

6 comments:

Melinda said...

This is so funny. I had to tell Jason because he has done both of those things.

I am sorry we missed you guys at dinner. It has been a miserable weekend. We had to cancel plans on Friday night and we got invited to go out tonight and had to say no. I hope you guys had fun with Dave.

Libby said...

That is a very cool picture of the Ute flag below! Go Utes. That was an exciting game. I tried calling dad too but his phone went straight to voice mail for me.

I was laughing so hard about the "chicken" story. So funny! Poor Clay!

Jill Walker said...

That is hilarious! I'm glad he has such a good sense of humor about everything.

Steve and Jen said...

He is so awesome to be able to laugh at himself! Those were some funny stories! Keeps life interesting eh? I'm honored you are following my blog! :-)

Tonya said...

GO UTES!!! what a great game. I actually sat through the whole game. SOunds like Clays one day is like my everyday. I am always putting my foot in my mouth, misunderstanding people, tripping on something that's there or not there. Tell Clay not to worry, it could be worse. I wish someone would tell seth about the loud music and hearing.

Christine said...

That is hillarious-especially about the receipt thing.