Monday, April 6, 2009

Happy Birthday Clay!

It's my sweet hubbies 39th birthday today. We had to celebrate it on Saturday because he left for Australia that night. He has actually celebrated his birthday 3 times, the first being on Saturday, then when he arrived in Australia it was Monday April 6th, his birthday but it was only Sunday here in Utah. Then this morning, again April 6th we called and wished him another happy birthday! He spent the day in Australia on the Gold Coast. He hopped on a train from Brisban and took the 1 1/2 hour train ride to the coast. He spent a hour in the water, shopped for suvineers for me and the kids, ate some authentic Aussie food (McDonald's) then hopped back on the train and headed back to his hotel.
For his party on Saturday, we kept it pretty low key. It was conference Saturday and Clay had spent most of the day packing and doing tax returns for his family, so he didn't feel up for a big party.
The funnest part of the afternoon was when he was opening his presents. The first card he opened was from my 97 year old Nana Ora (My mother's mom). She doesn't see very well anymore which probably explains why Clay got a card that said "Happy Birthday, hope your day is headed on the right track". You'll see from the picture below, this card was intended for a 3 year old!


As you can tell from these pictures, he was a little dramatic when opening his presents!

Clay had told me that he wanted a picture of Joseph Smith to hang in his office, so that is what we got him!

We are big chocolate lovers around our house! I made Clay a Texas Sheet Cake for his party.

Now usually we have our big conference breakfast on Sunday morning, but Clay was upset when he found out he was leaving and would miss this family tradition. So I surprised him and cooked it for him Saturday morning instead.
We have the same breakfast every conference, orange rolls, scrambled eggs, bacon and sausage!
Poor Savannah didn't realize we were doing the breakfast that morning and had just been soaking in the tub. She got out really fast though when we realized she would miss out if she didn't get down to the table quickly!

5 comments:

Melinda said...

Happy Birthday to Clay!! It is so weird to hear that his day is already over with over there. I hope he had a great day.

That picture of Joseph is so beautiful. I love that. That was awful nice of you to move the breakfast up for him to be there.

I have to make that cake on thursday for Cameron's teacher. I haven't made it in a while so I hope it turns out. Is it better to make it in the cookie sheet than the cake pan?

Libby said...

Happy birthday Clay! I kept thinking that I should call him all day...but then would remember that he is Austria. What a cool way to spend his birthday though!

I love Nana Ora's card. That is so hilarious. I absolutely love Nana's cards. Mine are always so funny to read. She cracks me up!

Melinda said...

I didn't know that you had grandma hughes recipe. I need that! The kids loved hers and I would actually eat a little. Please call with that!

Beck said...

We did conference breakfast on Saturday too.... I LOVE the birthday card!

Jill Walker said...

That's funny about Nana's card. Some of them are pretty funny because she can't see so well. She will ask for help some times, but when she doesn't you never know what you are going to get. Poor Nana! It's nice she keeps sending us cards and that she remembers so many birthdays!