Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Piano recital

Last night my two girls Brittany and Savannah had their piano recital. I was so impressed by how well both girls played. Savannah usually gets so nervous playing in front of people that she makes mistakes during her performance. But last night she played beautifully! Brittany also played so well and had only started working on her performance piece two weeks before the recital. Her teacher changed her song because she did not think the first song was challenging enough for her. Brittany's song was called Morning Light by Jon Schmidt and Savannah played White Horse by Taylor Swift.
This last week has been a complete fiasco for me. Our ward was split last Sunday and two hours after the split I was called into the Bishop's office and was made the 1st counselor in the Young Woman's. I'm so excited to be able to work with my three girls! I met with the Young Woman's president a few days later and after an hour meeting I left with my head spinning. I would teach that very Sunday and have to come up with an activity for the next Tuesday. I don't have any advisers yet so right now I'm doing everything myself.
Well, the first lesson was a hit, I think. I even sang for them! I have to say it was pretty funny to see their faces when I told them I wanted to sing them a song at the end of my lesson. They said "You mean your going to play a song on your ipod?" I said "no, I'm going to sing you a song myself". They were so kind afterward and all told me how much they loved that I would sing for them and I even had a mother call me and tell me that her daughter came home and couldn't stop telling her all about the lesson and the song I sang. So I think it went pretty good for my first week. Our activity was a service project, we babysat some of the kids in our ward who's parents have very young kids. It was an opportunity for them to get out for a few hours to Christmas shop, or just to go to dinner together without having to pay for a babysitter. The girls were so sweet and kept all the kids entertained and happy and the parents were so grateful to us for giving them a night out for free!
Now, I just have to plan for all next year and I'll be on top of things, I think!

3 comments:

Melinda said...

It doesn't sounds like it was a fiasco. It sounds like you are doing a great job at your new calling! Way to go!

Libby said...

Ah, your lesson sounds like it was Great! You will love young womens! It is so much fun and I think my testimony grew as much as the girl's did with all the spiritual activities!

I love the Elf video. Luke looks so young in his picture! Is it an old one?

Beck said...

Fun.. we have the same calling. We will have to have the girls play piano for us next time you come down.