Monday, September 19, 2011

The price of living in Australia!

Clay and I are very frustrated because it seems like we don't seem to have any more money here in Australia, even though he got a raise when he got his promotion to CFO.  Here is just a few examples of why we have so little money now!

 Just to break it all down for you, a Kilo is just about 2 1/2 pounds. So it cost me $11.00 to buy 2 1/2 pounds of bananas here in Australia!

 Grapes are almost $13.00 for 2 1/2 pounds!


 For a 24 pack of diet Coke it cost almost $24.00!

These are just a few reasons why we don't seem to have any extra money.  A few other examples for you.... Mabeline foundation is $31.00, in America $6.00.
It cost me $2500.00 to buy my kids their winter uniforms for school, that doesn't include the cost of going to that school! Oh, I have to buy their summer uniforms next week!
Dinner out for Clay and I cost us $60.00 for two dinners, no drinks or dessert!
It's amazing to me that the Australian people can afford anything! They are taxed 46% of their income, interest rates run almost 20% for a car loan, I don't even know what home loans run!
It will be so nice when we get back to America and can actually enjoy Clay's income again!

Just a funny side note, it's fun going around places to find some things that just make no sense to us at all! Today at McDonald's Jessica and I saw this. We still don't understand who would eat something like this at all!

Bubblegum Squash McFlurry??? Who would ever order this??

3 comments:

Libby said...

Wowza! That is disturbing.

Melinda said...

That Mcflurry sounds disgusting! Who in the world thought of that?

Those prices are insane. I don't understand how people could afford to live there. So now I need to remember this to have a lot more extra money saved for food when we come out.

Julie said...

Holy cow! That is CRAZY expensive! But you know what made me laugh? The sign under the grapes said imported from the USA yet when I go to the grocery store all the grapes we have are imported from Chile!!!! What????? Seriously...all summer long I've tried to find US grown grapes and haven't been able to and now I know its because you're paying $12 for them down there in OZ! Obviously its much better for the US economy to export them! CRAZY!!!!!