Friday, July 18, 2008

Hughes Family Tradition lives on!

We have this tradition on the Hughes side of the family of making chocolate chip cookies. Now these arn't the usual chocolate chip cookies, they are really, really good chookies with a secret ingredient that we use when making them. This tradition started actually with my brother Tom when he was in high school. Tom made the best cookies around and we had neighbors always asking him to make them some. I learned Tom's secret and starting making them in college. This was a good things because there was nothing the guys liked more than some good old home baked cookies. I scored many dates with these cookies.
I started teaching my girls how to make these cookies a few months ago. They usually make them on Sunday after church (another tradition of my families). Some batches we had to just throw out, like the time they used to much salt, and another time they added to much vanilla. But after much practice, they have mastered the technique and today made some really good cookies. I'm really proud of my girls. They love to cook (something they got from me, well, really the only thing they got from me) and I know someday their spouses will thank me for teaching them how to cook!


The boys love when their sisters bake cookies for them!

7 comments:

Tonya said...

Hey, it was so great to see you and your kids. Thanks for hanging out with us. Caleb and Luke had a ball and now Luke has two friends with his same name. he keeps telling everyone. I forgot to get the name of clays book from you. Tom is already mad at me. Let me know and we will be the proud purchasers of his book. Thanks again and I'm so glad to see that friendship can really last.

Rachelle said...

Ok, what is the secret ingredient. I'm his wife and I don't even know it. I don't even try to make chocolate chip cookies. I can't compete

Stephanie said...

Tonya,
Clay's book is called "Finding Golden Fury" and you can purchase it on Amizon.com I'm sorry I forgot to give you one while you were at my house. We have a ton!! It was fun to hang out with you again and my boys had a blast with your boys. They can't stop talking about Cabella's and the shotting range. We'll have to try and hook up the next time we head to Cedar City. It would be fun to see you in Vegas!

Libby said...

It is funny how we are learned to make cookies together, but we have all branched out a bit and each of our cookies are a little different. We all use the same recipe, same ingredients, but we all do it just a tiny bit different and thus they all taste a tiny bit different. I have noticed that between us girls, the difference is in the butter/margarine. I believe you use only butter- Melinda uses a mix of butter and margarine- and I use butter flavored crisco. And what is even funnier is that we all like our own way and claim it is the best way! Hee hee. But I guess if we didn't like our way the best, we would switch to a different way!

Melinda said...

I actually use a mixture of butter flavor crisco and margarine. ANd so with that mine are the best!!

HOw fun to have the girls know how to bake them so you can have a break. Blake and ashley both want to learn how to make cookies. We have been doing a weekly cooking class of everything they want to learn. It has been really fun!

Carter Family said...

So cute!!! Justin loves baking too! He asks all the time if he can make cookies, etc. It is fun seeing how big your kids are getting! Marlo

Tyler and Karen Davis said...

Please send a dozen over and share for once. I haven't seen a cookie so puffy and moist my whole life.