Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Insulin overdoes!

Last night as I was getting ready for bed I heard Clay yell out to me he needs me downstairs right away. I run downstairs to see what the problem was and he began to tell me that Savannah had given herself an injection of the wrong insulin. I'll back up and explain what I mean. Savannah gives herself two different types of insulin everyday. During the day she uses Novolog, this is a fast acting insulin that works in about 10-15 mins. It's good to use during the day because when she needs or whats something to eat she only needs to wait that 10-15 mins after giving herself the insulin before she can eat. This insulin last for about an hour. At night she needs a longer lasting insulin, so that she doesn't have to wake up in the middle of the night and check her bloodsugar and correct it if it is too high. This insulin is Lantis and she gives this to herself everynight before bed.
Now back to the story. After giving herself her insulin she realized she had used the Novolog instead of the Lantis. Her bedtime does is 28 units, this is a lot of insulin, especially a fast acting insulin. Now this is very dangerous because if she doesn't eat enough carbs to balance out this much insulin it would make her bloodsugar levels crash. We immediately found out how many carbs she would have to eat in order to balance out the insulin and found out it was 200 carbs. Just to put this into perspective, she eats around 100 carbs in a normal day. We quickly started searching the pantry trying to find anything high in carbs. Poor Savannah had to drink, yes drink 1/2 cup of syrup, eat 6 bags of fruit snacks and drink 2 cups of milk in order to keep her bloodsugar from crashing. She had a pretty tough time with the syrup and almost threw it up a few times. A hour later we tested her again and her bloodsugar was thankfully in a normal range. I still checked in on her a few times during the night and woke her up to make sure her bloodsugar didn't unexpectedly crash. If her bloodsugar gets really low it would cause her to go into a diabetic shock and we wouldn't be able to wake her up. This was what I was worried about all night long and why I keep going in and making sure I could still wake her up.
This is the first big scare we have had with Savannah since her diagnosis last Feburary. I pray we don't have to go through something like that again, ever!

4 comments:

Libby said...

Oh my gosh, I can't believe you didn't mention this today on the phone. How scary for you guys! I can't even imagine how much you and Clay must worry about Savannah on a daily basis. I think we all take diabetes for granted because it is such a regulated disease, but to put all the responsibility of that disease in the hands of a 12 year old is quite frighting. Thank goodness Savannah is such a great and responsible kid! I am so glad that she is okay!

PS-good luck with your crazy neighbor!

Melinda said...

Holy crap! How scary! I can't even imagine having to deal with all of this and always having a little scare wither her. Drinking the syrup sounds so gross. Poor Savannah. I am so glad she is okay.

Rachelle said...

That is really frightening. I was anxiety ridden just reading the post. Poor Savanahh. I can't believe she had to drink syrup. Ughh! What great parents you were to be able to handle this situation so ably.

Carter Family said...

Very scary! What a big responsibility Savannah has, at 12 years old... when most 12 year olds are worrying about what outfit they are going to wear. Obviously, we take for granted healthy kids. I'm surprised she could sleep herself after that much sugar intake. How smart of you and Clay to know what to do... I would probably have been in major panic mode!