Friday, December 12, 2008

Cody, Cody, Cody!

Well I thought it was going to be just another normal day around the Collins house, but boy was I wrong. It started off just like any other day, getting the kids ready for school, working out, picking up car pools, homework and then letting the kids play until dinner time. Well about 15 mins. before the kids were supposed to come inside Cody came screaming into the house and Brittany started screaming for me to come and see Cody. Cody was covered in blood all over his face and hands. I pulled his hand off his head and saw this huge gash above his eye brow. I knew instantly that he needed to get to the emergency room right away. I grabbed some paper towels, told him to hold it tightly against his head and put him in the car and headed to the American Fork Hospital. On the way to the hospital Cody kept telling me that he was tired and wanted to fall asleep. I didn't know if he had a concussion so I kept talking to him in order to keep him awake. Half way to the hospital I noticed he was sweating, a lot! He had beads of sweat dripping down his forehead and on his upper lip as well. And I noticed he was looking really pale. Thankfully, the hospital wasn't to far away, and even though it seemed to take forever to get there, it actually only took about 15 mins and we were there. We parked in the emergency parking and I walked him quickly into the Er. No one was in the waiting room and they were able to get us right in. I told them about Cody looking pale and sweating a lot and the doctor reassured me that it was a symptom of shock and that he was going to be just fine. The best part of the night was when they asked Cody how this happened and he pointed to me and the nurse said "your mother did this?" I looked shocked and Cody said "no, but my mom can tell you what happened". The nurse asked Cody is he would tell him what happened, of course, because now he was suspicious of me and he wanted to hear it from the kid not the mother. Cody explained what happened and everything got cleared up. Next, the doctor began to numb Cody up quickly, even though Cody was starting to freak out about having a needle stuck into his head. Cody has this fear of needles and starts to freak out pretty bad at the thought of having a shot (Jessica is the same way). But with my help and the help of a nurse, we were able to hold him down and after the first few shots it was numb enough he didn't feel it any more. It took 13 stitches and two rows of stitches to close up his head. Cody was a angel during the whole stitching process and by the time he was done was feeling a lot better. I was shocked because it only took an hour from the time he got hurt to the time they were done stitching him up. I was for sure we would be spending hours in the emergency room.
When he saw himself after it was over he asked me if he was still going to have his stitches in his head for Sunday. I told him he wouldn't get them out until Tuesday, and he said "Yes"! I asked him why that was so exciting for him and he said "I want to wear my black suit to church on Sunday, that way I'll look just like James Bond". I guess he saw a part of the movie James Bond when he had stitches in his head and of course he was wearing a black suit. I laughed and told him all the girls will think it's awesome that you have stitches, "it will make you look tough!" Cody is hoping he gets a scare out of this cause that will look cool too!

The first picture is the "before" picture. You can't see it in the picture, but they pulled out long pieces of skin from his wound and had to cut it off. I almost passed out during that part.
This is a picture of the doctor stitching him up. Two rows of stitches, 3 in the first and 10 outside.


Here is Cody after it was all done. I wish you could see all the blood on his sweatshirt, but it is black.
This morning when Cody woke up his eye was all swollen and bruised. He still wanted to go to school to show off his head to all his friends. Around 11:00 he called and asked me to bring him so medicine because his head was hurting a little bit. He said "mom, can you bring about 10-15 pills that I could take while I'm at school". Once again I had to laugh, and I told him he would be in the hospital again if I let him take 10-15 headache pills.

6 comments:

Libby said...

Are you sure you want to let this kid play football? You know that football is the number one cause of head injuries and concussions! It sounds like Cody doesn't need the help. He's perfectly capable of injuring his head on his own! Sheesh. I can't believe your luck with him this month! Poor guy. Poor you!

Rachelle said...

I love Cody. I mean it. I really love that 100% boy. I am sorry he is so accident prone. That is nerve racking. I will have to show Isaac his wounds tomorrow. Isaac is also totally freaked out at needles. It was always fun when he was little and I had to chase him around the doctor's office because he would run out of the room.

Rachel said...

Oh My Gosh, That looks painful. So how'd he do it?

Melinda said...

COdy, Cody, Cody. Seriously, I didn't think he would be your one always at the hospital. He really wants to scare you doesn't he! I am glad he is okay and didn't need to 10 pills to keep him happy.

Jill Walker said...

Wow, you have been through a lot with him lately! You never did say how he did it.

Jason was my accident prone kid. I swear I didn't get pictures of him for nine months because he always had some kind of bump or bruise or something. I didn't want people thinking that I was abusing him.

Later in their lives, Daniel has been my worry.

Christine said...

Poor guy!