Monday, June 22, 2009

Sucky week!

Well last week turned into a week of Doctors office visits and hospital sleep overs. It all started last Sunday, I went to South Jordon to sing in my first performance in the Jenny Philips choir. It was so much fun and the whole fireside is just incredible. On my way home Clay called to tell me that Cody was burning up with a high fever and throwing up. He was fine when I left, so this came completely out of the blue. By Monday he wasn't getting any better so when Clay came home from work he took him to the insta-care close to us. They tested him for Strep and the Swine flu. Since it would take a few days to get the results back I had to call my assistant Den leader in scouts and inform her that I couldn't go to day camp the next day. I was totally upset about this (not)! We got the test results back by Tuesday evening and they were negative, we thought we were out of the woods. But on Weds. night Savannah started complaining of a head ache and feeling like she was going to throw up. By Thursday morning Savannah was throwing up and running a low fever. Because she is diabetic, besides testing her blood sugar you also have to test their key tone levels. Her blood sugar was 596, regular people are around 100. Her key tone level was 5.6, on the emergency card it said if it is over 3.0 to rush them to the emergency room. So before I could even shower and get ready for the day, I was taking Savannah to the emergency room to get checked out.
As soon as we arrived they had her hooked up with 2 iv's that were getting her hydrated and giving her insulin. They figured her pump must of malfunctioned a few days earlier and she wasn't getting insulin for at least 24-48 hours. All of this on top of being sick they wanted to admit her into the hospital right then and there. Because American Fork hospital wont admit anyone under 15 into their ICU they had to transfer her to Primary Children's hospital. So after a few hours in American Fork they transferred her by ambulance to Primary Children's hospital. She spent Thursday and Friday in Salt Lake at the hospital and then finally was able to come back home.
Thursday evening, Clay brought the kids up to help keep Savannah entertained.
Then on Saturday, just as Savannah was starting to feel better, I came down with something that knocked me out for a few days. Poor Clay, I was sick in bed for Father's day. Something must be going around our ward because Clay came home from church after Sacrament and he had the boys with him. Our bishop had cancelled Primary because there were a couple cases of Swine flu in our ward and some parents were freaking out about it being spread at church. Luke of course was so happy!
Hopefully this is all behind us and we all get healthy again and can get back to having a normal summer break!

2 comments:

Beck said...

that is sucky. Poor Savannah, so close to her birthday as well. Hope you are all out of the woods now.

Rachelle said...

Holy Cow, What a terrible week. I am so sorry you all had to go through all that. I am glad everyone is doing better. Tom of course didn't tell me about Savannah so I was glad to get the whole story.
You guys deserve some good health for a long while.